Here are three bits of information which you might find useful to consider in the current situation and share with your senior leaders prior to full school opening on 8th March
The CIPD ( Chartered Institute of Personnel Development) has published a document for its Members and is advising organisations to have a vaccination policy/statement which sets out the following:
- Encourages all employees who can do so to get vaccinated once they are offered it.
- Explains that this encouragement forms part of the obligations that each employer has through its health and safety obligations and duty of care for the wellbeing of all individual staff and the community it serves.
- Explains there will be no compulsion to get vaccinated but all staff are strongly encouraged to do so unless there are specific medical reasons why this is not advised
- The school will release staff in order to attend their vaccination appointments ( you may want to add any school specific requirements here- eg go after school if there is a choice, who to notify etc)
- A risk assessment for individuals who are Clinically Extremely Vulnerable, Pregnant or Breastfeeding, or choose not to be vaccinated should be undertaken and homeworking and alternative working arrangements considered
- And last but not least the Guidance about Social distancing, handwashing and wearing face coverings remains in place even after staff have been vaccinated
You could consider a vaccination policy or adding this section to your Risk Assessment, wellbeing policy or Code of Conduct etc as best fits your school
For those who are also CIPD members the full Vaccination HR guidance can be accessed here https://www.cipd.co.uk/knowledge/fundamentals/emp-law/health-safety/preparing-for-covid-19-vaccination
- Staff unwilling to return to work- legal position
- If staff are claiming that they do not feel safe returning to work then the legal situation this poses and the options schools should consider is explained here
- Upcoming Free Webinar re March opening Stone King Webinar: Full reopening of schools on 8 March 2021 – Key Legal and Practical Points – 02.03.2021, 2pm
Following the release of the Department for Education guidance on the planned return to school of all pupils from 8 March, this one hour webinar will focus on the legal and practical implications for schools, their pupils and employees including:
- Implementing Covid testing and enhanced control measures for pupils and staff
- Staffing issues
- Curriculum provision including the future of remote learning
The webinar will provide an overview of the guidance followed by a live question and answer session. Questions can be submitted in advance during booking or emailed to email@example.com.
The full guidance can be viewed here.
Please book your place on this webinar here.
I hope the signposting of the information above is useful for you. Please do email us with your feedback
Vice Chair BASG