BASG Executive Meeting Minutes 21st June 2021

 MEETING MINUTES

Meeting: BASG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

 

Date & Time: 21 June 2021 at 5.00pm

 

Location: Virtual meeting via Zoom

 

Present:

 

 

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Maggi Bull,

Peter Lerner, Bernadette Allison, Jo Pearce, Martin Baxter, Gwyneth Langley (Secretary)

 

   

Agenda Item

 

 

Action

1. Apologies for Absence  
 

 

 

Andrew Brown had sent apologies for absence.

 

 
2 Notification of Any Other Business  
   

The following items were tabled for discussion under Any Other Business:

 

–       Update from the Marlow Chairs Networking Group (this would be covered under item 5)

–       Bucks Council Traded Services Proposal / Focus Groups

 

 
3 Declarations of Interest  
 

 

 

Gwyneth Langley – BEP

 
4 Approval of Minutes From the Meeting Held on 10 May 2021 and Review of Actions  
 

 

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 10 May 2021 were approved.

 

 

 

5 Local Networking Groups  
  Chesham, Great Missenden, Amersham and Wendover Group

 

AB had circulated a summary of the networking group meeting that had been held on 24 May 2021.

 

Jordans Group

 

The Jordans Group had met on 12 June 2021.  The group had discussed a number of issues including:

 

–       Guidance on exam appeals.   It had been requested that the LA support on this when results were released.

–       Covid infection protocols

–       Support for disadvantaged pupils

–       Wellbeing

–       Safeguarding

–       Arrangements for governor meetings going forwards

 

The recent Ofsted review of safeguarding policies and peer on peer abuse had been discussed at length. This was a local as well as national issue.   There would need to be significant amount of work to understand the issue and consider how to address this in schools.

 

Marlow Group

GL gave a brief update from the Marlow Chairs Networking Group. This small group has been meeting since February and would meet again on 29 June 2021.

 

Sally Brooks, one of participants, had feedback that at their last meeting the group had discussed:

 

–       SEND and the challenges of securing support from the LA

–       Remote Learning

–       Pupil Premium

–       Arrangements for governor meetings going forwards.

–       Clerking – and concerns about recruitment and development of new clerks.

 

 

6 BEP 

The BEP Conference had taken place on Friday 18 June 2021.   GL thanked PR for representing BASG at the conference and contributing to the panel discussion.

There was positive feedback on the event. The topics covered were considered thought-provoking, relevant and timely.

The session on EdTech had highlighted the potential for identifying and sharing expertise in this area.  Many schools had strong EdTech strategies, but it was thought that others did not and may not have the

relevant experience to do this effectively.   It was not thought that there was an EdTech plan or strategy at the LA.

 

 

 

7 Communications with Bucks Council  
   

PR, PL and AS had met with Simon James on Friday 18 June 2021.  This had been a positive meeting.

 

Work was continuing to improve HR support following recent discussions on this at the Governance Consultative Board. Simon James would be circulating information on this.  It was felt that progress was being made with HR issues and policies.

 

PR considered that the Education Services team were recognizing the importance of governance and were moving things forwards. Processes were now in place to hold the LA to account. There was a need for BASG to continue to work with the structures in place and continue to raise and engage with issues.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8 BASG Newsletter  
   

PR / GL would discuss this.

 

PR / GL

 

9 Buckinghamshire Challenge Group  
   

MB had circulated a summary of the Bucks Challenge Group meeting held on 14 June 2021, with details of attendees.

 

MB raised concerns about the effectiveness of the group and the strength of its leadership.

 

There had been a proposal to engage School Liaison Groups to deliver the work proposed by the Group.   MB expressed concerns about the ability of Liaison Groups to do this without appropriate support or training.

 

It was unclear how the work of the Bucks Challenge Group fitted with other strategies being pursued.  Concern was raised about coherence.

 

There had been positive feedback on the Closing The Gap sessions run by Marc Rowland on behalf of Bucks Council, but it was less clear what the impact of these sessions was having on disadvantaged children and schools requiring support.

 

Some concern about the commissioning process for consultancy work was raised.    Concern was also expressed that there had not been targeted invitations to the Closing The Gap sessions to ensure that schools most requiring support attended.      The importance of inviting Pupil Premium Governors or other governors with a specific interest or responsibility in this area was also highlighted, rather than limiting invitation to Chairs.

 

 

 

 

 

   

It was agreed that the School Governance Consultative Board was the correct forum for governors to raise questions about the strategies being pursued by the LA, even if these were challenging questions.  It was important that the strategy for School Improvement was understood. It was noted that the LA would be recruiting two new members of the School Improvement team and it was important to understand how these roles fitted within the strategy.

 

 
10 Side by Side Reference Group  
   

PR gave an update on the last meeting of the group.   Views had been sought as to the process and effectiveness of the group.  There had been some honest views expressed and there had been helpful, challenging discussion.

 

The agenda had been very packed, and the meeting been cut short.  The next meeting would be on Thursday 24 June 2021.

 

 

 

 

 

11 Schools Forum  
   

JP confirmed that the last meeting had been held on 23 March 2021. Another meeting was due to take place on Tuesday 29 June 2021.

 

JP would circulate the agenda for the meeting on 29 June, along with the reporting pack.  If there were any questions on this JP would be happy to take these to the meeting.

 

It was noted that the current Chair of the Forum was Kevin Patrick (Headteacher of Chiltern Hills Academy).  Draft minutes / notes of the meeting on 23 March 2021, plus a webcast, were available on the Buckinghamshire Council website.

 

 

 

 

 

 

JP / All

 

12 Governance Consultative Board  
   

The next meeting of the Consultative Board would take place on 8 July 2021.    PL had held a pre-meeting with Simon James.

 

Julie Ward, Anita Cranmer’s Deputy, had been invited to the meeting and it was hoped she would attend.

 

PL requested that any items for the agenda be sent to him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All

 

13 AOB  
 

13.1

 

Bucks Council Traded Services Communications

 

It was noted that Bucks Council were holding two focus groups w/c 21 June 2021 to discuss possible future traded services. A survey and e-mail detail had been circulated with suggestions for potential new services, including governor support services.

Concerns were raised about the capacity of the LA and the expertise, resources and infrastructure required to run traded services sustainably.  Given the multiple issues requiring the attention of the LA currently this was not considered a priority.

The importance of retaining NGA membership and Learning Link for Buckinghamshire schools was agreed. The governor support services already available locally provided by the Bucks Education Partnership were also noted.   It was acknowledged that the decision to outsource services was often difficult.

 

JP, MB, AS and PR would be attending the focus groups w/c 21 June 2021 and would feedback views and concerns.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JP, PR, MB

 

14 Dates / Times of Future Meetings
  A date / time for the next meeting was agreed as follows:

 

Monday 13 September 2021 5pm

   
 

 

 

 

The meeting closed at 6.55pm

 

   

 

 

 

BASG Executive Minutes 19th April 2021

Meeting Minutes

Meeting: BASG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

 

Date & Time: 19 April 2021 at 5.00pm

 

Location: Virtual meeting via Zoom

 

Present:

 

 

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Maggi Bull,

Peter Lerner, Bernadette Allison, Jo Pearce, Martin Baxter, Andrew Brown, Gwyneth Langley (Secretary)

 

   

Agenda Item

 

 

Action

1. Apologies for Absence  
 

 

 

There were no apologies for absence.

 

 
2 Notification of Any Other Business  
   

There were no items tabled for discussion under Any Other Business

 

 
3 Declarations of Interest  
 

 

 

Gwyneth Langley – BEP

 
4 Approval of Minutes From the Meeting Held on 1 March 2021 and Review of Actions  
 

 

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 1 March 2021 were approved.

 

BASG Bank Account (Minute 4) – All outstanding payments from the BASG bank account had now been arranged.   The ongoing issue relating to correspondence was being resolved with the bank.

 

 

 

 

 JP / PR

 

5 Local Networking Groups  
 

 

 

 

Aylesbury Group

 

The Aylesbury Group had met on 23 March 2021.

There were a number of topics for discussion including an update on a recent Ofsted Inspection.   It was noted that there had been a strong focus on safeguarding during the inspection. Governing Board meeting minutes had been scrutinised to establish how well governors were challenging the leadership team in this area.

 

The next meeting would be on 4 May 2021. It was confirmed that the meeting was open to all governors.

 

Jordans Group

 

The Jordans group had met on 27 March 2021.  There had been a number of topics for discussion including:

–       Well-being

–       Review of the return to school

–       Managing allegations

–       Safeguarding

–       Policies

 

It was considered that the meeting had been more upbeat than the previous session.

 

The next meeting would be on 12 June 2021.

 

The Chesham, Great Missenden, Amersham and Wendover Group would meet on 24 May 2021 at 7pm.

 

PR would signpost future meeting dates at the LA Executive Directors Briefings w/c 19 April 2021

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 PR

 

 

6 BEP  
   

GL highlighted that there had been a number of recent discussions with current Chairs regarding succession planning for their roles.  BEP were advising on potential options, including Co-Chairing.

 

It was agreed that the LA should be encouraged to extend invitations to events to Vice-Chairs and other Governors to support succession planning and development of potential future Chairs.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7 Communications with Bucks Council  
   

PR, AS and PL had met with Simon James and Gareth Drawmer regarding BASG and its current / future role.   There had been two meetings and they had both been positive.

 

Historical issues with HR support for governors had been discussed at the second meeting and Simon James would be meeting with the Bucks HR team to discuss this.  AS was encouraged that there had been engagement on this issue following the paper that had been written.

 

There had been a number of other topics for discussion during the meetings including:

–       Learning Link

–       Governor training

–       Networking Meetings

 

A pro-forma will be developed to facilitate feedback to the LA from local networking groups.   This would be anonymised but ensure that there was a mechanism for raising issues or areas of concern.

 

It was noted that the Marlow Networking Group had not met since June 2019.   There had been some interest in reviving this.  GL would contact Sally Brooks to establish whether there had been any progress with this.

 

JP had been elected to Schools Forum and gave an update on the meeting held on 23 March 2021.   There had been discussion and updates on a number of areas including:

–       Budgets

–       Contingency Funding

–       High Needs Funding

–       Special School funding

–       Sparsity funding

 

It was noted that contingency funding was still available and schools should apply if relevant.

 

Post-16 requirements were currently putting pressure on High Needs Funding.

 

JP would forward a copy of the Schools Forum Constitution along with current membership.    The next meeting would take place on 29 June 2021 and JP would feedback on this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

GL

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JP

8 BASG Newsletter  
   

Future plans for newsletters would be considered at a later date.

 

 

 

9 Buckinghamshire Challenge Group  
   

MB gave an update on the Buckinghamshire Challenge Group (formerly the Disadvantaged and Vulnerable Reference Group).

 

The group had met on 19 April 2021.

 

MB considered the meeting to have been more positive than previous meetings.  Gareth Drawmer had attended and listened to suggestions from group members.

 

It was noted that only 1 of the original 9 Headteachers had attended the meeting.

 

It was highlighted that many schools now had more pupils eligible for Pupil Premium funding as a result of job losses during the Covid crisis.

A workshop  Does it make a difference: evaluating the impact of your disadvantage strategy on learners, led by Marc Rowland, would take place on Thursday 22 April 2021 and governors had been invited to this.

MB had written a paper proposing options for governor training in this area.  Georgina Masefield was currently reviewing this.

 

JP highlighted that Gareth Drawmer had suggested that BEP would be approached to deliver Pupil Premium training to governors in the Consultative Board meeting on 17 March 2021.    It was unclear whether this had been agreed. GL confirmed that BEP had not been contacted on this as yet.

 

MB would forward a report on the meeting on 19 April to the committee.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MB

 

 

10 BASG Event  – Governance for SEND and Inclusion – 27 May 2021  
   

Approximately 80 governors had registered for the event to date.  This was scheduled to take place via MS Teams.  AS was exploring other platforms should numbers grow to a level where MS Teams may be unstable.

 

 

AS

11 Governance Consultative Board  
   

PL gave an update on the meeting that had taken place on 17 March 2021.    It was felt that the meeting had gone well.  It had been very helpful that written input from board members had been circulated in advance.

 

12 AOB  
12.1

 

 

 

 

 

 12.2

 

Committee Membership

 

PR informed the group that Joanne Marchant had decided to step down from the committee. She had also resigned from her governor role at Heritage House School.       The committee acknowledged the significant work that Joanne had done for BASG and thanks would be passed on to her on behalf of the group.

 

Ofsted Inspections

 

MB highlighted that John Hampden Grammar School had not been inspected since 2008.    Members were aware of number of other schools in Bucks who were in a similar position.

 

13 Dates / Times of Future Meetings
 

 

 

 

Dates and times for future meetings were agreed as follows:

 

Monday 10 May  2021 5pm

 

 

The meeting closed at 6.55pm

BASG Executive Minutes 1st March 2021

Meeting: BASG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

 

Date & Time: 1 March 2021 at 7.00pm

 

Location: Virtual meeting via Zoom

 

Present:

 

 

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Maggi Bull,

Peter Learner, Bernadette Allison, Jo Pearce, Martin Baxter, Andrew Brown, Gwyneth Langley (Secretary)

Absent: Joanne Marchant

 

   

Agenda Item

 

 

Action

1. Apologies for Absence  
 

 

 

Joanne Marchant had sent apologies for absence

 

 
2 Notification of Any Other Business  
   

It was agreed that the following would be discussed under Any Other Business:

–       Schools Forum

 

 
3 Declarations of Interest  
 

 

 

Gwyneth Langley – BEP

 
4 Approval of Minutes From the Meeting Held on 1 February 2021 and Review of Actions  
The minutes of the meeting held on 1 February 2021 were approved.

 

Book Donation (Minute 8) – Books donated by Emma Knights had been sent to the governors that had e-mailed in following the communication in the BASG newsletter.   There had been 25 entries for the 4 books.

 

BASG Bank Account (Minute 11) – JP / PR would arrange to make any outstanding payments from the BASG bank account.

 

 

BASG Website (Minute 11) -.  PR would ask Tomas Pukalski about the stacking arrangements on the BASG website.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 JP / PR

 

 

PR

 

5 Local Networking Groups  
 

 

 

 

Jordans Group

The Jordans Group had met on 6 February 2021. Approximately 25 governors had attended.  There were a number of topics for discussion including:

–       Information dissemination.  There was a feeling that communication from the LA had improved, but that there could be further improvement.

–       Information sources. There was some clarification required on free services vs paid services.

–       Management of difficult situations such as allegations and grievances.

–       Governor resignations – there was an acknowledgement that governors were having to balance home and work life differently during the pandemic and this had led to some governor resignations.

–       The challenge of staying strategic in the pandemic environment.

 

The quality of HR and Legal advice from the LA had been an area of concern and this was discussed.  Toolkits provided for governors were not always current or fit for purpose.

PL suggested that this be raised at the Consultative Board meeting on 17 March 2021.

 

PR noted that a number of governors at the meeting appeared to be struggling with workload.     Well-being of governors was an issue during this time.

 

Chesham, Amersham, Great Missenden and Wendover Group

The group had met on 17 February 2021.  Approximately 26 governors had attended.  There had been 6 key topics of discussion:

–       Well-being

–       Staying Strategic

–       Energising the Governing Board

–       Remote Education

–       Support for the Headteacher

–       Ofsted

 

The small group format, using breakout groups within Zoom, was considered to have worked well.

 

There had been good feedback following the meeting with attendees finding it a helpful source of support. There had been enthusiasm for another meeting during the Summer Term 2021 and AB would organise this.

 

AB would share training and experience of breakout groups within Zoom and MS Teams.

 

Future Meeting Dates

 

Jordans Group 20 March 2021

Aylesbury Group 23 March 2021

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PL

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AB

 

 

AB

 

 

 

 

6 BEP  
   GL highlighted the BEP Chairs Briefing on Friday 5 March 2021.

 

The next edition of the BEP Newsletter would be sent to all governors via GovernorHub at the end of term.   BASG updates could be included within this.   This would be further discussed under item 8.

 

7 Communications with Bucks Council  
  There had been an Ofsted review of Safeguarding at the LA but the group was not aware of any feedback from this.  
8 BASG Newsletter  
  JM and BA were thanked for their excellent work on the BASG Newsletter.

 

Following discussion it was agreed that BASG updates and information would be included within the end of Spring Term BEP newsletter.   GL confirmed that the deadline for receipt of content was 24 March 2021.   This would be sent out via GovernorHub.  GL would liaise with JM and PR on this.

 

 

 

GL / JM / PR

9 Disadvantaged and Vulnerable Reference Group  
  MB gave an update on the Disadvantaged and Vulnerable Reference Group. MB is a governor representative on the group, alongside Katy Simmons, Chair of Cressex Community School.

 

MB expressed concern that Headteachers had stopped attending the group meetings and that the governor representatives felt marginalized.

 

The criteria for choosing schools to support was currently unclear as were the KPIs of the group.

 

There had been a suggestion that the name of the group be changed to be more positive.

 

MB explained that 1 or 2 evening meetings were planned for governors to update on the work of the group.  These were likely to be held in late June or early July. The format was currently unclear.     PR / MB had suggested including the NGA in this work.

 

MB expressed concern that elected Members were not directly involved in the process.  It was unclear why there was a lack of enthusiasm for their involvement given their role in decision making and funding.

 

10 Governance Consultative Board
  The next meeting of the Consultative Board would be on 17 March 2021.

 

PL proposed that the following items be included on the agenda for discussion and would be raised by BASG members as follows:

 

–       Schools Forum (JP)

–       HR and Legal Support for Governing Boards (AS)

–       Schools as Polling Stations (MB)

–       Ofsted Review (AB)

–       Disadvantaged and Vulnerable Reference Group (JP)

 

PL would make Simon James aware of these topics in advance of the meeting.

 

JP confirmed that she had put herself forwards for election to Schools Forum. The outcome of this process would be known by 9 March 2021.  The next meeting of Schools Forum would be 23 March 2021.  The previous meeting had been on 19 January 2021 and it was anticipated that a report from this meeting would be available to the Consultative Board on 17 March 2021.

 

AS would prepare a paper on HR and Legal Support for the Consultative Board meeting and would send a draft to PL.

 

It was noted that national funding had been made available to avoid using schools as polling stations for the May 2021 elections.  It was agreed it would be useful to seek clarity on the Bucks position at the Consultative Board meeting.

 

PR would also raise plans for school improvement at the meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PL

 

 

 

 

 

 

AS

 

 

 

 

PR

 

11 AOB  
   

 

Schools Forum

JP would seek clarify on the process for electing members to Schools Forum

 

Chair of Governors Required – Junior School in the Amersham Area

 

JP highlighted that a Junior School in the Amersham area required an experience Chair of Governors and asked for any suggestions.

 

BASG Communication

AS was thanked for circulating information on vaccination and potential vaccination policies  and for signposting Stone King legal guidance.  The importance of governors asking questions about these areas was discussed.   It was acknowledged that these were difficult issues and there were no definitive answers.

 

Co-operative Schools Conference

MB highlighted that he had attend a Co-operative Schools Conference discussing ‘What will schools look like Post-Covid?’ and this had been very interesting.

 

 

 

JP

 

 

 

 

All

 

 

 

12 Dates / Times of Future Meetings  
 

 

 

 

Dates and times for future meetings were agreed as follows:

 

Monday 19 April  2021 5pm

 

The meeting closed at 8.30pm

BASG Executive Minutes 1st February 2021

Meeting: BASG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

 

Date & Time: 1 February 2021 at 5.00pm

 

Location: Virtual meeting via Zoom

 

Present:

 

 

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Maggi Bull,

Joanne Marchant, Peter Learner, Bernadette Allison, Jo Pearce, Martin Baxter, Andrew Brown, Gwyneth Langley (Secretary)

 

   

Agenda Item

 

 

Action

1. Apologies for Absence  
 

 

 

There were no apologies for absence

 

 
2 Notification of Any Other Business  
   

It was agreed that the following would be discussed under Any Other Business:

–       BASG Website

–       Clerks Well-Being

–       BASG Bank Accounts

 

 
3 Declarations of Interest  
 

 

 

Gwyneth Langley – BEP

 
4 Approval of Minutes From the Meeting Held on 11 January 2021  
 

 

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 11 January 2021 were approved.

 

Matters arising within the minutes including follow up actions are covered within this agenda.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5 Local Networking Groups  
 

 

 

 

 

Aylesbury Group

The Aylesbury networking group had met on 20 January 2021.  This had been Chaired by MB and AS / PR had attended.  There had been a useful and wide ranging discussion which had included:

–       BASG

–       Lack of face to face contact with schools

–       The difficulties of parental engagement with home learning in some cases

–       Lateral flow tests

 

PR had received feedback from a Chair that the meeting had provided very useful support.

 

It was agreed that all schools were doing remarkable work in the area of home learning. The importance of blended learning was discussed as the amount of screen time could be an issue for all age groups.     It was agreed that schools needed to do what was right for their community.

–       AB shared his experience of secondary home learning where a shortened timetable had been introduced on one day in the week to support students and teacher well-being.

–       MB shared messages from a seminar recently attended and highlighted the importance of considering learnings from this period and what should kept, lost and developed going forwards.

–       PL shared experience of the Working Group on Covid-19 at his school. Communication was acknowledged to be key as well as thanks and encouragement to staff.

 

AS highlighted the implications for governors and monitoring. It was important that governors understood what was being done, what elements of the curriculum were currently being delivered and the impact of this.

 

Jordans Networking Group

The group would meet on 6 February 2021.  25-35 attendees were expected.

 

Chesham, Amersham, Great Missenden and Wendover Group

The group would meet on 17 February 2021.  17 people had confirmed attendance so far.   AB would be using breakout rooms during the session.

 

It was agreed that a strong communication flow from local networking groups to the Local Authority was essential to ensure that issues were captured and raised.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6 Governance Consultative Board  
   

PL gave an update on the December 2020 meeting of the Governance Consultative Board.  There had been good discussion and interaction between governors and members of the LA.  Progress appeared to be being made in a number of areas and it was important that this continued.

 

The next meeting of the Consultative Board would be on 17 March 2021 and potential issues to raise would be discussed at the next BASG meeting (1 March 2021)

 

It was noted that there was no direct link with Schools Forum on either BASG or the Consultative Board. PL had raised this at the Consultative Board and there was likely to be a report from Schools Forum at the next meeting.

 

It was noted that there had been no national decision as yet whether local elections scheduled for May 2021 would take place or would be postponed to the Autumn 2021.    MB raised concerns that schools may be asked to close for a day to act as a polling station.  JM highlighted that they did not need to close if they were able to operate safely during an election but schools may not be aware of this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agenda 1  March ‘21

7 BEP  
 

 

GL gave a brief update on BEP services going forwards:

 

–       The Key would now be offered as an option as part of BEP subscriptions.

–       BEP would be recruiting for an additional Governance Adviser for Bucks services and this may be an opportunity for a Governor or Clerk in the County.

 

A number of concerns had been raised by Chairs and Clerks around the quality of investigations, particularly HR investigations, some carried out by members of the LA HR team.   In some cases there appeared to be a lack of clarity around the role of governors in these processes.

 

Concerns around HR investigations were discussed.   Poor investigation processes and lack of understand regarding the role of governors could put all parties into difficult positions and be extremely expensive to resolve.

 

It was agreed that this issue should be raised at the Consultative Board.  PL proposed a paper to summarise key issues. AS had already progressed a draft paper and would speak to other members of the group to seek input on this.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AS

 

 

8 BASG AGM  
  The minutes of the BASG AGM held on 14 January 2021 were approved.

 

AS had sent an Amazon voucher to Emma Knights thanking her for her participation at the event. Emma had kindly donated this back to Bucks governors. It was proposed that this be spend on a number of books.  Potential mechanisms for distributing the books were discussed and this would be progressed.

 

 

 

 AS

 

9 Communications with Bucks Council  
 

 

 

This has been discussed under item 6.

 

PR considered it positive that Gareth Drawmer had sought the views of BASG during the decision making period on school re-opening at the beginning of January 2021.

 

 

 

 

 

 

10 BASG Newsletter  
 

 

The aim was for this to be circulated by February half term.   JM and BA continued to work on this.   The newsletter would be circulated to all those who have signed up via the BASG website.  Hazel David would also be asked to circulate this to Chairs and Clerks.

 

AS would forward details of a recommended book for inclusion.

 

MB would forward a handout on governance of SEN.

 

AB and MB would forward mini-biographies to JM / BA for inclusion within the newsletter and on the BASG website.

 

The frequency of the BASG newsletter would be discussed at the next meeting on 1 March

 

 

 

 

 

AS

 

MB

 

AB / MB

Agenda 1 March ‘21

 

11 AOB  
  BASG Bank Account

The issue with bank account signatories had now been resolved.   JP / PR would arrange to make any outstanding payments.

 

Clerk Well-Being

The importance of including Clerks within discussions on well-being was highlighted.  This was suggested for possible inclusion within the BASG newsletter.

 

BASG Website

It was noted that some items on the BASG website were hard to find due to the stacking arrangements.  PR would ask Tomas Pukalski about this.

 

 

JP / PR

 

 

 

 

 

 

PR

 

 

12 Dates / Times of Future Meetings  
 

 

 

 

Dates and times for future meetings were agreed as follows:

 

Monday 1 March 2021 5pm

Monday 19 April  2021 5pm

 

To note next meeting of the Governance Consultative Board 17 March 2021

 

 

BASG AGM Meeting Minutes 14th January 2021

Meeting: BASG AGM

 

Date & Time: 14.1.2021 at 17.00

 

Location: Virtually via Teams

 

Present:

 

 

 

 Apologies:

Executive Committee

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Jo Pearce (Treasurer),

Maggi Bull, Joanne Marchant, Peter Lerner, Gwyneth Langley, Bernadette Allison (Secretary)

 

None

 

   

Agenda Subject

 

   

Action

 

1.

 

Welcome

 

Apologies

 

Chair (PR) welcomed everyone, with over seventy attendees virtually through Teams

 

None

 
 

2.

 

Minutes of the AGM held on 27.11.2019

 

Minutes of our AGM held on the 27.11.2019 – have been seen by our Executive Committee who are happy to approve.

They will also be posted on the web site.

 

Minutes approved.

 
 

3.

 

Matters arising

 

 

None

 
 

4.

 

Adoption of the accounts for the year ending 31 August 2020

 

 

Adoption of the accounts for the year ending 31 August 2020

 

•      Balance stands at £3506.59

•      Currently membership of BASG is free and all schools are members so we have no further income.

•      At present we have a balance in the accounts for the current year.

 

 

 

  

PR/JP

 

5.

 

 

 

Report of BASG activities in 2019/2020

 

 

Report of BASG activities in 2019/20 – some of the main ones are:

 

•      Meetings with BC continue in order to best serve governance across the authority.

•      The LA has most recently ensured that communication emails and updates linked to the Leadership & Management of schools is also sent to Chairs for their information. This is very helpful and removes the additional responsibility for headteachers to have to communicate this to Chairs.

•      Thank you to the LA for maintaining the link with NGA through membership for schools within the authority. This has ensured that governors have immediate access to this professional organization for guidance through the NGA. It also provides the most valuable Learning Link. This platform  enables all members to access online up to date training for the roles and responsibilities of governors.

•      BASG new website was launched during 2020.

A special thank you to Tomas Pukalski who made this possible and hosts the site for BASG – Framework Digital – Google Partner & CRM in Aylesbury.

•      BASG are also thankful to PR’s daughter (AR) who through the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award youth achievement scheme, keeps the site updated and linked to social media and Twitter.

•      The highlighting training needs for Governors to BC has resulted in  virtual training meetings taking place for governors. These sessions have been very well attended. BASG welcomes these continuing.

•      BASG representatives continue on the School Governors Consultative Board

which is attended by Senior LA officers and elected Members

•      Representatives from BASG also attend Side by Side meetings

•      BASG represent views of governors through network groups, which is anticipated will continue and further blossom through the present year

•      It is hoped Mentoring will move forward for new Chairs with robust, effective and passionate governance throughout Buckinghamshire.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8.

 

Election of Officers

 

Election of Officers – the following have highlighted their willingness to stand again

 

Chair – Paul Randall – proposed and seconded

Vice Chair – Anne Sheddick – proposed and seconded

Treasurer – Jo Pearce – proposed and seconded

Secretary – Gwyneth Langley – proposed and seconded

 

The Executive Committee are also willing to stand again:

 

Maggi Bull

Peter Lerner

Joanne Marchant

Tomas Pukalski

Gwyneth Langley

Bernadette Allison

 

We have two further nominations to join the Executive Committee:

 

Martin Baxter – proposed and seconded

Andrew Brown – proposed and seconded

 

We have a vacancy for 1 more committee member.

If anybody would like to join BASG Executive Committee, please contact Paul Randall.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.

 

Open members discussion

 

Open Members discussion – no questions.

 

 

 

10.

 

AOB

 

No other business

 

BASG is the local voice for governing boards and can only act on information that is provided to us.

Please engage with us via web site, or using PR contact details.

 

Contact details are:

 

pauljrandall@btinternet.com

07818453741

 

AGM meeting closed at 17.20.

 

PR welcomed guest speaker Emma Knights OBE, Executive Director NGA who presented on ‘The Governors’ role.

 

 

 

 

 

  Keynote Speaker Emma Knights

 

Emma begun by explaining the role of the NGA.

She thanked schools and the BASG for what is being done for pupils and communities, especially during COVID times.

NGA aims to be our voice with the DfE and other national agencies.

 

She discussed the top six priorities which  governors have identified during lockdown as:

 

Ø  Balancing the budget 40%

Ø  Staff wellbeing including workload 36%

Ø  Ensuring a broad and balanced curriculum 28%

Ø  Improving attainment 28%

Ø  Pupil wellbeing 28%

Ø  Support for pupils with SEND 22%

 

Emma shared with us what she saw as positive legacy from COVID

Ø  Some new ways of governing will be retained in part: improving attendance & efficiency

Ø  The central importance of schools to their community

Ø  Better collaboration across the localities, including with other agencies

Ø  Is there evidence of formal groups of schools (MAT or federation) providing support, especially for smaller schools

 

 

However, there are concerns, especially:

Ø  Recruitment & retention of school leaders

Ø  Disadvantaged gap

 

Her thoughts for the future:

Ø  Stronger relationships with parents

Ø  Renewed emphasis on different groups of children

Ø  Curriculum to remain central stage

Ø  School improvement via CPD

Ø  More diverse board

Ø  More sharing of tasks and responsibility

 

Emma talked about creating a strategy to turn vision into reality by taking control of your own destiny. Good governance is ethical, effective and accountable.

She also spoke about the Visible Governance Campaign which promotes the value that good governance brings to the school system and the Outstanding Governance Awards 2021.

 

In part, the future of schools is in the hands of governors.

Emma also made us aware that not all authorities have such a group as BASG. She thanked the BASG for the invitation.

 

Emma then answered a variety of questions covering:

•      Recruitment

•      Funding

•      Diversity of Boards

•      Localism

•      Safeguarding

•      Academisation

•      Remote Education

•      Service Providers

 

 

 

   

PR thanked Emma for her thought provoking presentation and for giving of her time to attend the meeting.

PR also thanked the attendees for joining the meeting and asked for them to engage with us through the links on the BASG website.

 

The event finished at 18.33pm

 

 

 

BASG Executive Minutes 11th January 2021

Meeting: BASG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

 

Date & Time: 11 January 2021 at 17.00 hours

 

Location: Virtual meeting through Zoom

 

Present:

 

 

Apologies:

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Maggi Bull,

Joanne Marchant, Peter Learner, Bernadette Allison (Secretary)

 

Gwyneth Langley join the meeting at 17.10

 

 

   

Agenda Subject

   

Action

 

1.

 

Apologies for absence

 

 

GL will be able to join just after the start of the meeting.

 
 

2.

 

Notification of any other business

 

 

None

 
 

3.

 

Declaration of interest

 

 

Gwyneth Langley – BEP

 
 

4.

 

Approval of minutes from the meeting held on 9.11.2020

 

 

Matters arising within the minutes including follow up actions are covered within the agenda.

 

Minutes approved.

 

 

 

 

 

5.

 

 

 

Future of BASG & membership

 

 

GL joined the meeting.

PR is finalizing signatories for the accounts.

PR explained that the working relationship with LA continues to blossom.

The COVID situation has meant governorship has had to develop as a virtual role.

It was felt that the further development and linking with the Networking groups would be a good dovetailing for governorship across the authority.

Two possible new members had contacted PR and they will be attending the AGM for nomination. Their presence on the Executive group may well facilitate further links with and development of networking groups across Bucks.

It was felt in the present pandemic situation we need to encourage networking across the authority. Governors are not having the opportunity to meet face to face with little opportunity for networking.

It was also agreed that the group would like to ensure that a more regular BASG newsletter is made available through the link on the website. The purpose of this will be to communicate, signpost events and happenings for governors in their role.

JM and BA will liaise to ensure this happens with one being finalized and published before the Spring half term.

Contributions will be sort from the Executive group.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Email sent to the BASG Executive group 12.01.21

 

6.

 

BEP update

In order to ensure there is an overview of the needs of governors across the county, GL on behalf of BEP, fed back the following information from BEP’s awareness:

 

·         Training bookings have increased

·         Queries on the role of governors during the pandemic situation

·         Remote Education

·         Number of pupils in school

·         Information on how to complete present procedures/processes

·         Various questions linked to the present situation

·         Chairs briefing on 5th March

 

The group were pleased to receive this overview.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.

 

Schools

 

The present situation has put tremendous additional pressure on Headteachers in schools. The LA is aware of this and support for schools is a priority.

The group discussed the issue of making testing available for all school staff as a priority.

PL has been looking into this and he will continue to follow up on this.

This could provide further confidence for schools to be open for all pupils as soon as possible.

It may also lessen the anxiety from parents which has meant they do not wish their children to attend school during the COVID situation. This in certain sectors of communities, further exasperates disadvantaged pupils.

 

 

 

 

 

 

8.

 

BASG AGM

 

The BASG AGM will be on 14.01.2021.

The minutes from the previous AGM were reviewed with no further action required.

Martin Baxter and Andrew Brown are keen to join the Executive group. They will attend the AGM and will be nominated.

Martin Baxter co-ordinates the Aylesbury Networking group and Andrew Brown is keen to resurface the Chesham networking/partnership group.

 

The AGM will be held virtually through Teams.

 

AGM Timings:

17.00 – 17.30 – AGM

17.30 -18.00 – Guest Speaker, Emma Knights

18.00 – 18.15 – Questions for Emma Knights

 

PR & AS are co-ordinating the AGM with the link to go out to 80 attendees.

Minutes from the previous AGM will be on the BASG website.

 

Emma Knights OBE – (Chief Executive NGA) will be the Keynote speaker

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.

 

Communication with BC

 

PR informed the group that he is involved in on-going communication and discussions with the LA.

The training programme from the LA continues with a further agenda being issued for the second half of the Spring Term.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10

 

AOB

 

None

 

 
 

 

 

 

Date and venue of next meeting

 

The date for the next meeting of the BASG Executive group 1.2.2021 at 17.00

 

Meeting closed at 18.15

 

 

BASG Executive Minutes 09.11.2020

 

Meeting: BASG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

 

Date & Time: 9 November 2020 at 18.00 hours

 

Location: Virtual meeting through Zoom

 

Present:

 

 

 

Apologies:

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Maggi Bull,

Joanne Marchant, Gwyneth Langley, Peter Learner, Bernadette Allison (Secretary)

 

 

Jo Pearce joined the meeting at 18.25

 

 

   

Agenda Subject

   

Action

 

1.

 

Apologies for absence

 

 

None

 
 

2.

 

Notification of any other business

 

 

 

 
 

3.

 

Declaration of interest

 

 

Maggi Bull – Chair of NGA

Gwyneth Langley – BEP

 
 

4.

 

Approval of minutes from the meeting held on 12.10.2020

 

 

Matters arising within the minutes including follow up actions are covered within the agenda.

 

Minutes approved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.

 

 

 

Membership

 

 

New members to join BASG Executive Committee – PR intends to follow up with governors who expressed an interest at the last AGM.

 

 

PR

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.

 

BEP update

 

BASG wish to ensure that concerns and questions raised by governors are being fed back into to the communication network within Bucks.

 

GL highlighted the following matters which have been raised most recently by governors:

·         Challenge of Governor visits to schools during the present pandemic

·         Ongoing Training

·         Child Protection Policy not being updated by BC

·         Completion of SFVS by 31.12.2020

 

The group was reminded that there is a BEP Chair’s briefing (for all Chairs with or without training membership) on 13.11.2020 from 9.30-11.30

BEP will mention BASG events at the briefing and for governors interested in joining Executive Committee to contact Chair (PR)

 

PR and MB will follow up on the review of policies within BC

 

PL requested that a short paper be prepared to explain what the issues are and any consequences with a relevant timeline.

This will then be reviewed in the light of future Consultative Board meetings.

 

JP joined the meeting at 18.25

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PR/MG-to follow up

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.

 

Schools

 

Discussion took place regarding the difficulties for schools to manage when half a class is isolating and the staffing issue of who teaches the other half of the class while the teacher is isolating.

 

COVID19 tests kits are being replenished in schools.

Teachers in maintained schools are being prioritized for testing.

 

Health and Safety Executive (HSE) are carrying out spot checks in Buckinghamshire Schools with one week’s notice. The focus is on the Risk Assessments used for opening schools. They are reporting on health and safety provisions during COVID for adults / workers at the School.

They look at the risk assessments for re-opening prior to the visit and then tour the school to see the safety measures ‘in action’.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PR

 

 

8.

 

Networking groups

 

Aylesbury networking group

In an attempt to avoid a clash of dates with BASG, the Aylesbury networking group have delayed arranging a date for the next meeting.

 

Jordans networking group – met virtually on Saturday 7th November, 2020.

Discussion took place around Disadvantaged funding and how this is allocated across the authority. The group felt it was important to have transparency regarding this funding and the opportunity for open and honest discussion. The only purpose being to facilitate the best possible use of funds for the Disadvantaged. This is an on-going discussion within the authority.

Discussion also took place around the use of DSG money outside of Buckinghamshire.

This is also an on-going discussion.

 

No news on Chesham or Wendover Networking groups.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.

 

BASG events

 

BASG AGM – 14.01.2021 with Keynote speaker Emma Knights OBE (Chief Executive NGA)

 

In addition:

 

BASG Spotlight on Disadvantage with Sam Henson (Director of Policy and Information NGA) on either 30.11.2020 or 01.12.2020 tbc by PR.

 

 

PR/MB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PR

 

10.

 

Communication with BC

 

PR continues to keep in regular contact with BC which continues to facilitate a positive and growing trust across the authority for the role and purpose of governors.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11

 

Consultative Board

 

As Chair of the Consultative Board, PL reported that he had a positive 1:1 introductory meeting with Simon James.

 

 

The next Consultative Board meeting will be held on 9th December, 2020.

 

 
 

12

 

AOB

 

School meals

AS expressed the need for clarification on what arrangements there are within BC for the funding of the increase in FSM.

 

 
 

 

 

 

Date and venue of next meeting

 

It was recommended that all meetings continue in the Autumn Term 2020 in a virtual format.

 

The date for the next meeting of the BASG Executive group TBC

 

Meeting closed at 19.34

 

 

 

BASG Executive Minutes 12/10/2020

Meeting: BASG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

 

Date & Time: 12 October 2020 at 18.00 hours

 

Location: Virtual meeting through Zoom

 

Present:

 

 

 

Apologies:

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Maggi Bull,

Joanne Marchant, Gwyneth Langley, Bernadette Allison (Secretary)

 

 

Jo Pearce, Peter Learner – received and accepted

 

   

Agenda Subject

   

Action

 

1.

 

Apologies for absence

 

 

Jo Pearce

Peter Learner

 
 

2.

 

Notification of any other business

 

 

Accounts – PR

 
 

3.

 

Declaration of interest

 

 

Maggi Bull – Chair of NGA

Gwyneth Langley – BEP

 
 

4.

 

Approval of minutes from the meeting held on 14.09.2020

 

 

Matters arising

 

AS informed the group, that she and her HT had continued to follow up with PGL regarding monies paid for a service which did not take place because of the COVID situation.

Their further communication with PGL, highlighted that non reimbursement of this money would have a negative impact on the school and the disadvantaged.

AS advised schools to follow up directly with PGL if they are in similar positions and they seek a positive outcome for their school.

Schools are welcome to make contact with her directly at

anne.sheddick@gmail.com

if they wish to discuss it further.

 

Minutes approved.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

AS

 

5.

 

 

 

Membership

 

 

New members to join BASG Executive Committee – PR intends to send out a communication asking interested governors to make contact with him to discuss further.

 

 

PR

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.

 

BEP update

 

GL on behalf of BEP, thanked PR for his attendance and involvement at the most recent BEP Chairs’ Conference which was held for those who have training membership. Very positive feedback had been received regarding the content of the BEP Conference.

 

GL fed back concerns/queries being raised by governors across Buckinghamshire. This ensures that, as appropriate, this can be fed back through the Consultative Board and its members to ensure a greater understanding of concerns across BUCKS.

 

Issues raised included:

·         Meeting arrangements during the pandemic

·         HTPM process

·         Dealing with Complaints during lockdown

·         Child Protection Policy – whether this is going to be reviewed by BC so a model policy is available for schools to use and adapt for their individual schools. It was felt this would be very supportive for schools.

·         Mental health issues with parents/pupils – mechanisms in place in schools

 

The group was reminded that there is a BEP Chair’s briefing (for all Chairs with or without training membership) on 13.11.2020 from 9.30-11.30

PR will add this information to BASG website.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PR-to follow up

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PR

 

7.

 

Schools

 

Discussion took place regarding Leadership and wellbeing in schools in the present situation.

The legal requirement for schools to have a Home Learning Plan in place adds to the pressure on schools.

PR will follow up regarding where we are with input from Bucks on this important area.

 

PR informed the group that Headteachers and Chairs of Governors are invited to attend a half day conference on

Closing the Gap in Buckinghamshire’ – Focus – addressing the needs of vulnerable groups

Friday Nov 6th 2020 1:30 – 4:00 pm

(link on SchoolsWeb)

It is an opportunity to hear colleagues and a keynote speaker address the issue of this important area in Buckinghamshire.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PR

 

 

8.

 

Networking groups

 

Aylesbury networking group met in a virtual meeting on 30.09.2020.

The meeting was well attended with some new attendees joining the group.

 

Issues discussed included:

·         GDPR

·         Governor meetings

·         Return to school

·         Grouping of pupils

·         On-line learning

·         School costs/income in the present COVID situation

 

Dates for the next Aylesbury meeting are being explored so as to avoid clashes with other BC/BASG events, if possible.

 

Jordans networking group – next virtual meeting is planned for Saturday 7th November, 2020.

 

No news on Chesham or Wendover Networking groups.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.

 

BASG events

 

BASG AGM – 14.01.2021 with Keynote speaker Emma Knights OBE (Chief Executive NGA)

 

In addition:

 

BASG Spotlight on Disadvantage with Sam Henson (Director of Policy and Information NGA) on either 30.11.2020 or 01.12.2020 tbc by PR.

 

 

PR/MB

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PR

 

10.

 

Communication with BC

 

PR fed back to the group that the BC training programme which is being carried out this term has been very well received.

 

PR continues to keep in regular contact with BC which continues to facilitate a positive and growing trust across the authority for the role of governors.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

11

 

Consultative Board

 

PL is now the Chair of the Consultative Board.

MB will continue within the group. PR (seconded by AS) wished to thank MB for her tireless work and her professional drive as Chair. She has been instrumental in the positive foundations and steps she has achieved for governors across the county within this group.

 

The next Consultative Board meeting will be held on 9th December, 2020.

 

 
12 AOB PR informed the group he will pursue signatory authority for BASG so outstanding invoices may be paid.

 

PR
 

 

 

 

Date and venue of next meeting

 

It was recommended that all meetings continue in the Autumn Term 2020 in a virtual format.

 

The next meeting of the BASG Executive group will be on Monday 9.11.2020 at 18.00

 

Meeting closed at 19.10

 

 

 

BASG Executive Minutes 14/9/2020

 

Meeting: BASG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

 

Date & Time: 14 September 2020 at 18.00 hours

 

Location: Virtual meeting through Zoom

 

Present:

 

 

 

Apologies:

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Maggi Bull,

Joanne Marchant, Peter Lerner, Gwyneth Langley, Bernadette Allison (Secretary)

 

Jo Pearce

 

   

Agenda Subject

   

Action

 

1.

 

Apologies for absence

 

 

Jo Pearce

 
 

2.

 

Notification of any other business

 

 

Communication – PR with BC/governors

(covered under Agenda item 10)

 
 

3.

 

Declaration of interest

 

 

Maggi Bull – Chair of NGA

Gwyneth Langley – BEP

 
 

4.

 

Approval of minutes from the meeting held on 17.08.2020

 

 

Minutes approved

 

Follow up is on-going and addressed within the agenda

 

AS has been involved with the on-going follow up with PGL

 

If any schools are in the process of this, AS is happy to share her experiences about a possible resolution

Contact: anne.sheddick@gmail.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.

 

 

 

Membership

 

 

PR informed the group that Tomas Pukalski has requested that he does not attend meetings at present. He is happy to support with the maintenance of website and technical support, if required.

 

The Executive group wished to thank TP for his work for BASG and his contribution to the refreshed website.

 

The group discussed new membership to the committee and routes to take in order to achieve this. Networking groups may be a possible route, communication through BEP may be another.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6.

 

BEP update

 

GL gave comprehensive feedback of queries/questions BEP have received from other governors within Buckinghamshire.

 

These are:

·         Concerns about procedural matters during the present pandemic and how the virtual situation can proceed

·         Governor elections

·         Safeguarding

·         Provision of training for Managing allegations

·         SFVS – when will the deadline be this year (31.12.2020?)

·         Expectations from BC for Home Learning (DfE has issued a document outlining this)

·         Attendance – clarification that Home Learning is not an option if pupil does not need to isolate

·         LA appointment of governors

 

It is useful to have this overview of concerns across the authority and MB will make sure that the Consultative Board are kept up to date, so the voice of governors is being heard and a cyclical approach to communication is being actioned.

 

 

 

 

 

7.

 

Schools opening for more pupils

 

It has been encouraging to see positive reports through the media although there does still seem to be some confusion in social media.

 

There do seem to be some issues with social distancing outside schools at the end of the school day.

Good information is also being communicated through risk assessments including for Before and After School activities.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8.

 

Networking groups

 

Aylesbury networking group is planning a virtual meeting on 30.09.2020.

 

AS will communicate about the next South Bucks networking group.

 

It would be good if these can be signposted as these groups are part of the processes in place within Bucks to help and support for governor communication across the county and are part of the network to ensure governors’ thoughts are being supplied.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.

 

AGM 2020

 

BASG AGM – 14.01.2021 with Keynote speaker Emma Knights OBE (Chief Executive NGA)

 

In addition:

 

BASG Spotlight on Disadvantage with Sam Henson (Director of Policy and Information NGA) on either 30.11.2020 or 01.12.2020 TBC.

 

The group wished to express their thanks to AR for her on-going work to support the updating of the BASG website and social media avenues with current governor new/events.

 

 

PR/MB

 

10.

 

Communication with BC

 

The group thanked PR for sharing with the committee the letter he sent out to governors explaining about the confusion which had inadvertently arisen regarding agendas and the template used for FGB’s in the Autumn Term. The Committee thanked PR for the swift follow up he had provided on the matter and his accompanying explanation.

 

PR highlighted the work which has taken place with BC on:

 

·         Training (overview of virtual training for governors provided by BC)

·         Agenda coverage for FGB’s for Autumn 2020

·         Work with HT’s

·         Induction

·         Leadership briefings run by BC (due to take place September/October)

 

PR continues to work closely with BC to ensure the relationship is productive.

 

The question was asked as to whether Leadership Briefings could be opened up to all governors beyond Heads and Chairs.

Thank you to JM for following up on this. It was clarified that these meetings need to remain as access for Heads and Chairs only.

 

However, it was stated that Chairs should ensure if their attendance is not possible that their Board is represented at the ‘meeting’ by anther fellow governor.

Also, Chairs should ensure their Board is updated on the information provided at the briefing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JM

 

 

11

 

Consultative Board

 

MB is working with BC on finalizing the Agenda for the next Consultative meeting and will take into account input from the agenda items from this meeting. The template agenda will be used but anticipates Safeguarding and Public health will be present as an agenda item.

 

MB informed the group that she intends to step down from her role as Chair of the Consultative Board and has proposed PL to take over the role. PL has extensive knowledge as a manager of working with local councils at a senior level. MB intends to approach a HT to second this. She will also make contact with other members of the Consultative Board.

 

 
 

 

 

 

Date and venue of next meeting

 

It was recommended that all meetings continue in the Autumn Term 2020 in a virtual format.

 

Monday 12.10.2020 at 18.00

 

Meeting closed at 19.25

 

 

 

BASG Executive Minutes 17/8/2020

 

Meeting: BASG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

 

Date & Time: 17 August 2020 at 18.00 hours

 

Location: Virtual meeting through Zoom

 

Present:

 

 

 

Apologies:

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Maggi Bull, Jo Pearce,

Joanne Marchant, Peter Lerner, Bernadette Allison (Secretary)

 

 

Gwyneth Langley, Tomas Pukalski

 

 

   

Agenda Subject

   

Action

 

1.

 

Apologies for absence

 

 

Gwyneth Langley

Tomas Pukalski

 

 
 

2.

 

Notification of any other business

 

 

·         Autumn Term agendas

·         Clerking

·         AGM

 

 
 

3.

 

Declaration of interest

 

 

Maggi Bull – Chair of NGA

 
 

4.

 

Approval of minutes from the meeting held on 7.07.2020

 

 

Minutes approved – follow up is on-going

(Newsletter, website, AGM)

 

 

 

 

 

 

5.

 

 

 

Consultative Board

 

 

MB is due to meet with SJ with an agenda focused on governance.

MB chairs the Consultative Board and liaises with BC. Attendance of officers is important so as to ensure representation and involvement in agenda items and coverage of LA responsibilities.

Terms of reference need to be updated.

In the present circumstances, it was considered to be important for a presence at the meeting from ‘Public Health’.

MB will follow up.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

MB

 

6.

 

Communication with

Buckinghamshire County Council (BC)

 

PR is looking at agendas for governance and the coming term/year and its circulation. He will follow up with a couple of members of the group.

 

PR is at present in discussion with BC regarding the training agenda for the coming school year.

 

Discussion took place about an annual planner for school governance showing what is required within governance over a school year. Although these are available through governor organisations it is important to have dates/deadlines included from a local perspective.

 

Discussion also took place about whether there will be virtual LA briefings, as face to face meetings have not taken place since the beginning of 2020.

School Improvement does need to be considered and how the Side by Side initiative is being taken through into 2020/21. It was felt that School Improvement should be linked with Governance consistently.

 

 

PR

 

 

7.

 

Networking Groups

 

It was felt that it would be helpful for Networking groups to receive key information of events from the Consultative Board and the LA so as to ensure clear knowledge and communication of relevant information across governance in Buckinghamshire.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8.

 

School opening for more pupils

 

There is a wealth of information available from:

·         Buckinghamshire Council

·         DfE

·         NGA

·         The Key

 

Discussion about the resumption of Ofsted visits as of the end of September. It was felt that more information regarding this would be helpful. Concerns were raised about additional pressures for schools in the present situation of settling all pupils and staff back to school.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

9.

 

AGM 2020

 

PR and MB are following up on organizing ‘speakers’ for the event which will take place in Spring 2021.

 

 

PR/MB

 

10.

 

AOB

 

Clerking – Agenda for Autumn Term 2020

PR and JP will link on this

 

PGL – There has been follow up by schools on reimbursement of funds to parents.

AS recommended that schools/governors continue to follow up on this consistently so as to ensure PGL do respond. It is important that this does not have an impact on disadvantaged pupils/families

 

PR/JP

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Date and venue of next meeting

 

It was recommended that all meetings continue in the Autumn Term in a virtual format.

 

Monday 14.09.2020 at 18.00

 

 

Meeting finished at 19.25