Message to all Headteachers from Integrated SEND Service

SENT ON BEHALF OF HERO SLINN, HEAD OF INTEGRATED SEND

Dear all,

We are approaching the end of term, and I wanted to ensure that I write out to you all before schools officially close this week.

I want to thank you for all of your hard work over this past year enabling children and young people with special educational needs to work towards increasingly aspirational and stretching outcomes.  It has not been an easy year; we have dealt with more change and churn both professionally and personally given the circumstances linked to the pandemic than ever before.  I have been impressed by the creative measures taken to support our children and families during this time, and the renewed focus of collaboration, co-production and mutual respect and recognition developing between schools and the Local Authority when it comes to this area.

We have seen a real ‘spike’ in presenting need which has put huge pressure on you all, on my service of psychologists, teachers and EHC coordinators, and on other services, and most significantly the families we serve.  I have personally felt inspired and grateful for the opportunity to work closely with school leaders and other leaders across the local area on collaborative solutions to address the issues we are collectively facing, and am looking forward to doing this further in the future.

The Buckinghamshire SEND Local Offer

We have had a revamp of our Local Offer, working with families, schools and professionals to ensure information is presented in a more user-friendly manner.  Please ensure you signpost young people and families, as well as other professionals, to this site, as it contains a real wealth of support and advice for families.  A link to a useful video is below, and if this could be added to your parent newsletters in September, I would be most grateful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a98NH_ZIWEM

 

Shout Out For SEND CYP Conference 13th October 9.30am-2.30pm at The Caledonian Suite, Adams Park, High Wycombe

On 13th October, we will be delivering our Preparation for Adulthood Shout out for SEND conference, which involves key post 16 providers across Buckinghamshire Local Area. It is an exciting opportunity for young people with SEND to learn more about the options available by subject matter experts and share key messages with their peers.  Please note, this conference is for Year 9 and above students only, with the invite attached.  Please get booking places as soon as possible!

CYP Conference SEND Letter Invite FINAL July 2021

The following providers will be delivering workshops:

Adviza: Will be provide impartial careers advice and guidance to young people by providing them with a bespoke package of comprehensive information about apprenticeships.

Schools can access a variety of support including:

  • Student awareness sessions
  • Continuing Professional Development (CPD) for teachers
  • Parents events (face to face and virtual)

ASK Apprenticeships | Adviza

Bucks New University:  Widening participation: Interactive workshops on the day. Student Ambassadors will also support as it supports young people with their lived experience.

Talkback: Volunteering and work experience

Bucks College Group: Options at College and sixth form

Stoney Dean: Delivering sessions surrounding the options on Supported Internships and meeting other young people currently completing Supported Internships.

BuDs: Raising awareness and options available surrounding supported Internships

Young people will be allocated workshops that interest them based on recommendations with their school.

Education, Health and Care Plans

EHCP rates (Schools’ Census Jan 21):

  • Bucks has increased 0.3% from 3.5% to 3.8%
  • England and the SE region have both increased 0.4% to 3.7% and 3.9% respectively.
  • Bucks is now ranked in the middle of our Statistical Neighbours – 6th out of 11.  Historically, Bucks had higher %s that both national and the SE region, but we are now more in line with these markers.

EHC Needs Assessments

We have seen a sharp increase this term in the number of requests coming through for EHC needs assessment; this is an increase of 18% for the same period (Jan – June) in 2020, and a 10% increase compared to 2019.  We have been working hard to meet the requirements of such an influx of the statutory services, and appreciate the pressures that schools are facing currently in relation to this.  We will continue to monitor this trend and update you further when possible to look at whether this is a continuing trend / what this increase relates to (e.g. effects of the pandemic).  We are working with Local Authorities across the south-eastern region to map this increase as well, given all authorities are seeing this significant increase currently.

In terms of compliance with 20 weeks for the full EHC plan process, we currently stand at meeting this in 84% cases for 2021.  The rate for last year in Buckinghamshire was 74% and nationally was 58%.  We are focusing further on the co-production of assessments, as well as the quality of EHC plans.  As part of this work to streamline the process and enable a greater focus on quality, we are introducing a new portal, that should make the submission of requests for EHC needs assessments easier.  Huge thanks to those schools that were a part of the pilot of this project over the last term.  SENCos have already been informed of the upcoming training (dates below) and the plan to roll out across the county subsequent to this training be delivered via the weekly SENCo updates sent out by iSEND Area Team Managers:

  • Aylesbury  23RD September  3:30 to 5:00pm
  • CSB  29TH September 3:30 to 5:00 pm
  • Wycombe  30th September 3:30 to 5:00

Annual Reviews

We currently have over 5200 children and young people with EHC Plans in Buckinghamshire.

We have had a significant effort on ensuring annual reviews are completed in as timely a way as possible, with SENCos and EHCCos working closer together than ever before.  We recognise that this is still a significant way to go on this area.  We are currently working on ensuring the data management system that now tracks this process is fully updated over the summer break, with a view to begin the regular reporting on this from the autumn term.  I am intending to write to Headteachers once a half-term with an update specifically on this area, following a discussion with the lead from the Aylesbury Headteachers liaison group to ensure you are all updated on the progress within this area.

Education SEND Sufficiency

The consultation in relation to Education SEND Sufficiency has now closed.  We have had a really large response rate into this, and would like to extend our huge thanks to all of you that have responded.  We will take time over this next few weeks to read the feedback carefully, with the aim to framing a strategy ready for sharing in the autumn term.

SEND Support Offer

SEN Support rates (Schools’ Census Jan 21:

  • Bucks has increased 0.1% from 10% to 10.1%
  • England has also increased by 0.1% to 12.2% and SE has increased by 0.2% to 12.2%
  • Bucks rate remains low compared to England and SE
  • Statistical neighbours have an average of 11.7%. Bucks is ranked 2nd lowest behind Wokingham at 9.5%

We still have some work to do in terms of early identification for those receiving SEND Support in schools.  We are working with the teaching school at Dr Challoner’s School for Boys to ensure that the training offer for schools on SEND is as comprehensive as possible.  This information will come out in September with a range of free and chargeable training sessions that we know will support school staff to support children, so please ensure that you look out for this and signpost staff accordingly.

Also from September, we will be proud to introduce our widening non-statutory EP offer, with further communication coming out then to let you know of the detail.  A public consultation will also be launched to look at the way we currently deliver specialist teaching, to see if a greater focus can be put on early intervention, so again, please look out for this and ensure you do respond with your thoughts.

Mental Health

One of the key areas requiring increasing attention is the support for mental health in schools, so am using this opportunity to signpost you to some developments in this area.

The Department for Education (DfE) is offering a senior member of school or college staff the opportunity to get a grant for training to develop the knowledge and skills to implement an effective whole school or college approach to mental health and wellbeing in their setting.

The grant is a contribution to the cost of training and the hiring of supply staff whilst leads are engaged in learning. We think this is a real opportunity not to be missed, so please follow the link below to ensure you are able to access this:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/senior-mental-health-lead-training

We have also commissioned the Primary PRU to extend their offer to a needs-led request for support, that now includes both children with or without EHCPs, so please do use this support as needed.

We are also very pleased to be opening in September 22 the new SEMH unit for students with EHCPs at the new Kingsbrook Secondary School in Aylesbury, with placements being agreed through the phase transfer process for Year 7s.

The Integrated SEND Service

We have had some changes to staff this term as you may be aware.  We will be updating schoolsweb over the summer holidays so that all is in place and accurate, ready for the start of the term.  However, I would just like to take this opportunity to outline the key named people that make up the iSEND Management Team.

iSEND Management Team

Hero Slinn – Head of iSEND

Tim Jones – Principal Educational Psychologist

Aylesbury iSEND Team:

Area Team Manager – Christine Preston

Senior EHC Coordinator – Vanessa Croxford (starting with the service on 2nd August)

Senior Educational Psychologist – Jenny Feeney

Interim Senior Specialist Teacher – Jane Lewis

Senior Specialist Teacher for Hearing and Multi-Sensory Impairment – Hannah Morgan

CSB iSEND Team:

Area Team Manager – Hayley Nowley

Senior EHC Coordinator – Scott Strand (replacing Alex Potts, joined the service on 19th July)

Senior Specialist Teacher – Rupinder Ahluwalia

Senior Educational Psychologist – Shami Rait

Designated Social Worker for SEND – Lucy Perren

Wycombe iSEND Team:

Interim Area Team Manager – Alex Potts (Ian Peters has now left the service)

Interim Senior EHC Coordinator – Mike Pearson (Katherine Hipperson has now left the service; Andrew Bunker has now moved within the service as a specialist teacher)

Interim Senior Specialist Teacher – Sue Morley

Senior Educational Psychologist – Keith Willsher

Senior Specialist Teacher for Visual Impairment and Physical Disabilities / Equipment Lead – Nicola Davidson

We are also currently recruiting to a new post within the iSEND management team to sit under the Head of Service, for a Business Manager.  The advert is currently live so do pass on to anyone you think might be interested!

https://jobs.buckinghamshire.gov.uk/job_detail/215082/

I think that’s all for this year!  Take good care of yourselves and please do enjoy a well earned rest over the summer period.

 

Best wishes,

 

Hero

 

 

Hero Slinn

Head of Integrated SEND Service

Buckinghamshire County Council

County Hall

Walton Street,

Aylesbury,

HP10 1UA

Updating Contacts for September 2021

Dear Colleagues,

It is almost the end of term and I am contacting you to ask for any updates you may have regarding contact emails for the September term.

If you have a Chair of Governors or Clerk leaving in July/August, please let me know.  I would like to ensure that our records are correct for any communications we send out.

I have received information of a Clerk who is looking to take on more work, so if you have a vacancy contact Ian Lowe ian.lowe07@gmail.com

 

Regards,

Hazel

 

Hazel David

School Improvement Team

Children’s Services

 

DfE School Governance Update July 2021

Welcome to the July 2021 edition of the DfE’s school governance update, where you will find key announcements and information to support you in your governance role.

For this edition we have created separate versions of the Update for academy trusts and maintained schools – the articles are listed below for information along with a link to each Update.

Academy Trusts:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-governance-update/academy-trusts-school-governance-update-july-2021
Introduction

1.   Message from Baroness Berridge

2.   National Leaders of Governance (NLG) reform – application round now open

3.   Academy Trust Handbook 2021 (also known as the Academies Financial Handbook) published

4.   Updated model articles of association

5.   Keeping children safe in education statutory guidance updated for September 2021

6.   Consultation on proposed arrangement for exams 2022 now open

7.   Guidance for trust partnerships published

8.   Reminder to apply for a suitability check

9.   Early Career Framework Reforms

Maintained Schools:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-governance-update/local-authority-maintained-schools-school-governance-update-july-2021
Introduction

1.   Message from Baroness Berridge

2.   National Leaders of Governance (NLG) reform – application round now open

3.   Keeping children safe in education statutory guidance updated for September 2021

4.   Consultation on proposed arrangement for exams 2022 now open

5.   Guidance for trust partnerships published

6.   Early Career Framework Reforms

If you would like to provide us with any feedback on the content or format of this update please email: schoolgovernance.update@education.gov.uk.

If you are no longer on a governing or trust board – please contact your former school/academy trust and ask them to update their records on their Get Information About Schools (GIAS) database. This will ensure you do not receive any further communications from the department.

Thank you,

Governance Team

BASG Executive Meeting Minutes 21st June 2021

 MEETING MINUTES

Meeting: BASG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

 

Date & Time: 21 June 2021 at 5.00pm

 

Location: Virtual meeting via Zoom

 

Present:

 

 

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Maggi Bull,

Peter Lerner, Bernadette Allison, Jo Pearce, Martin Baxter, Gwyneth Langley (Secretary)

 

   

Agenda Item

 

 

Action

1. Apologies for Absence  
 

 

 

Andrew Brown had sent apologies for absence.

 

 
2 Notification of Any Other Business  
   

The following items were tabled for discussion under Any Other Business:

 

–       Update from the Marlow Chairs Networking Group (this would be covered under item 5)

–       Bucks Council Traded Services Proposal / Focus Groups

 

 
3 Declarations of Interest  
 

 

 

Gwyneth Langley – BEP

 
4 Approval of Minutes From the Meeting Held on 10 May 2021 and Review of Actions  
 

 

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 10 May 2021 were approved.

 

 

 

5 Local Networking Groups  
  Chesham, Great Missenden, Amersham and Wendover Group

 

AB had circulated a summary of the networking group meeting that had been held on 24 May 2021.

 

Jordans Group

 

The Jordans Group had met on 12 June 2021.  The group had discussed a number of issues including:

 

–       Guidance on exam appeals.   It had been requested that the LA support on this when results were released.

–       Covid infection protocols

–       Support for disadvantaged pupils

–       Wellbeing

–       Safeguarding

–       Arrangements for governor meetings going forwards

 

The recent Ofsted review of safeguarding policies and peer on peer abuse had been discussed at length. This was a local as well as national issue.   There would need to be significant amount of work to understand the issue and consider how to address this in schools.

 

Marlow Group

GL gave a brief update from the Marlow Chairs Networking Group. This small group has been meeting since February and would meet again on 29 June 2021.

 

Sally Brooks, one of participants, had feedback that at their last meeting the group had discussed:

 

–       SEND and the challenges of securing support from the LA

–       Remote Learning

–       Pupil Premium

–       Arrangements for governor meetings going forwards.

–       Clerking – and concerns about recruitment and development of new clerks.

 

 

6 BEP 

The BEP Conference had taken place on Friday 18 June 2021.   GL thanked PR for representing BASG at the conference and contributing to the panel discussion.

There was positive feedback on the event. The topics covered were considered thought-provoking, relevant and timely.

The session on EdTech had highlighted the potential for identifying and sharing expertise in this area.  Many schools had strong EdTech strategies, but it was thought that others did not and may not have the

relevant experience to do this effectively.   It was not thought that there was an EdTech plan or strategy at the LA.

 

 

 

7 Communications with Bucks Council  
   

PR, PL and AS had met with Simon James on Friday 18 June 2021.  This had been a positive meeting.

 

Work was continuing to improve HR support following recent discussions on this at the Governance Consultative Board. Simon James would be circulating information on this.  It was felt that progress was being made with HR issues and policies.

 

PR considered that the Education Services team were recognizing the importance of governance and were moving things forwards. Processes were now in place to hold the LA to account. There was a need for BASG to continue to work with the structures in place and continue to raise and engage with issues.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8 BASG Newsletter  
   

PR / GL would discuss this.

 

PR / GL

 

9 Buckinghamshire Challenge Group  
   

MB had circulated a summary of the Bucks Challenge Group meeting held on 14 June 2021, with details of attendees.

 

MB raised concerns about the effectiveness of the group and the strength of its leadership.

 

There had been a proposal to engage School Liaison Groups to deliver the work proposed by the Group.   MB expressed concerns about the ability of Liaison Groups to do this without appropriate support or training.

 

It was unclear how the work of the Bucks Challenge Group fitted with other strategies being pursued.  Concern was raised about coherence.

 

There had been positive feedback on the Closing The Gap sessions run by Marc Rowland on behalf of Bucks Council, but it was less clear what the impact of these sessions was having on disadvantaged children and schools requiring support.

 

Some concern about the commissioning process for consultancy work was raised.    Concern was also expressed that there had not been targeted invitations to the Closing The Gap sessions to ensure that schools most requiring support attended.      The importance of inviting Pupil Premium Governors or other governors with a specific interest or responsibility in this area was also highlighted, rather than limiting invitation to Chairs.

 

 

 

 

 

   

It was agreed that the School Governance Consultative Board was the correct forum for governors to raise questions about the strategies being pursued by the LA, even if these were challenging questions.  It was important that the strategy for School Improvement was understood. It was noted that the LA would be recruiting two new members of the School Improvement team and it was important to understand how these roles fitted within the strategy.

 

 
10 Side by Side Reference Group  
   

PR gave an update on the last meeting of the group.   Views had been sought as to the process and effectiveness of the group.  There had been some honest views expressed and there had been helpful, challenging discussion.

 

The agenda had been very packed, and the meeting been cut short.  The next meeting would be on Thursday 24 June 2021.

 

 

 

 

 

11 Schools Forum  
   

JP confirmed that the last meeting had been held on 23 March 2021. Another meeting was due to take place on Tuesday 29 June 2021.

 

JP would circulate the agenda for the meeting on 29 June, along with the reporting pack.  If there were any questions on this JP would be happy to take these to the meeting.

 

It was noted that the current Chair of the Forum was Kevin Patrick (Headteacher of Chiltern Hills Academy).  Draft minutes / notes of the meeting on 23 March 2021, plus a webcast, were available on the Buckinghamshire Council website.

 

 

 

 

 

 

JP / All

 

12 Governance Consultative Board  
   

The next meeting of the Consultative Board would take place on 8 July 2021.    PL had held a pre-meeting with Simon James.

 

Julie Ward, Anita Cranmer’s Deputy, had been invited to the meeting and it was hoped she would attend.

 

PL requested that any items for the agenda be sent to him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All

 

13 AOB  
 

13.1

 

Bucks Council Traded Services Communications

 

It was noted that Bucks Council were holding two focus groups w/c 21 June 2021 to discuss possible future traded services. A survey and e-mail detail had been circulated with suggestions for potential new services, including governor support services.

Concerns were raised about the capacity of the LA and the expertise, resources and infrastructure required to run traded services sustainably.  Given the multiple issues requiring the attention of the LA currently this was not considered a priority.

The importance of retaining NGA membership and Learning Link for Buckinghamshire schools was agreed. The governor support services already available locally provided by the Bucks Education Partnership were also noted.   It was acknowledged that the decision to outsource services was often difficult.

 

JP, MB, AS and PR would be attending the focus groups w/c 21 June 2021 and would feedback views and concerns.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JP, PR, MB

 

14 Dates / Times of Future Meetings
  A date / time for the next meeting was agreed as follows:

 

Monday 13 September 2021 5pm

   
 

 

 

 

The meeting closed at 6.55pm

 

   

 

 

 

Updated Transition Principles Guidance for Schools

Sent on behalf of Debbie Munday: Admissions and Transport Manager

Transition Principles FINAL3

 

Debbie Munday
Admissions and Transport Manager

Education and Skills
Children’s Services
Buckinghamshire Council
Walton Street Offices, Walton St, Aylesbury, Bucks, HP20 1UZ

SARS-CoV-2 variant Delta in Bucks – guidance for meetings

Dear Colleagues,

Following a few recent queries I have asked Dan about the current guidance with regards to meeting up, face-to-face.  His advice is as follows:

With case numbers rising it would be sensible to keep meetings virtual unless there is a pressing reason why they have to be face-to-face.

Dan

 Daniel Flecknoe

Consultant in Public Health

Please see the current guidance below and also the email sent on the 7th June below:

 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/school-governance-update/school-governance-coronavirus-covid-19-june-update–2#role-of-governing-and-trust-boards

 

  1. How can governing or trust boards continue to function effectively during this time?

DfE understands that governing and trust boards have a key role in supporting their school or trust’s senior leaders throughout this period and that decisions will need to be pragmatic, proportionate and sensitive to local circumstances. Boards remain accountable for their schools and should stay connected to senior leaders, and the key operational decisions they are taking, to retain a strategic overview of the school or trust.

Whilst social distancing rules remain, boards should adopt alternative arrangements for holding meetings, for example, by using video or teleconferencing applications. If boards or schools require support to access digital platforms, please see DfE’s guidance on help with technology and remote education. The National Governance Association has also produced guidance for business continuity and holding virtual meetings.

 

  1. Should committees continue to meet during this period?

Governing and trust boards, in discussion with the clerk, should take a pragmatic approach to handling any urgent business and assess whether it is reasonable for virtual committee meetings to go ahead. Availability of governors or trustees will need to be considered to ensure that committee meetings are quorate. It may be more practical for the urgent business of any committee to be discussed at the governing or trust board meeting instead.

 

 

Regards,

Hazel

 

Hazel David

School Improvement Team

Children’s Services

SARS-CoV-2 variant Delta – Update for Educational Settings

SENT FROM DAN FLECKNOE – CONSULTANT IN PUBLIC HEALTH 7th June 2021

Dear Colleagues,

As you may have seen in the news, over the last week evidence has emerged that the SARS-CoV-2 variant Delta (formerly “India”) has overtaken “Alpha” (formerly “Kent”) to become the dominant form of COVID-19 both nationally and locally. This finding supports research evidence that Delta is significantly more infectious than Alpha, but importantly COVID-19 vaccines have been shown to still provide effective protection against it. In Buckinghamshire there has been a significant increase in COVID outbreaks in educational settings over the past 2 weeks, mostly caused by the Delta variant. Although no serious illness has been reportedly associated with these outbreaks, there are two major concerns resulting from this trend:

1. Secondary transmission from outbreaks among young and healthy people may go on to affect those more likely to become severely unwell (i.e. older family members), and
2. School/EYS outbreaks driven by a more infectious variant will lead to significant missed school time for a large number of children and young people who are identified as contacts of confirmed cases.

In view of this, I would recommend that:
• any planned loosening of in-school precautions should be delayed,
• bubbles should be maintained and kept as small as is practical,
• the whole school community should be reminded of the importance of practicing the principles of ‘hands, face, space, fresh air’ whenever possible.
• anyone who is eligible for COVID-19 vaccination but has not yet taken up the offer, or who has not taken up their second dose when invited, should be encouraged to do so ASAP,
• and – perhaps most importantly with a more easily transmissible variant – immediate self-isolation by the entire household when any person in the house develops possible COVID-19 symptoms or gets a positive LFD result must be strongly emphasised. There is some evidence that the Delta variant has a shorter incubation period (that is, people may become infectious more quickly after being infected), so if household members wait for PCR confirmation before self-isolating then they could already have unknowingly passed the infection on to non-household contacts and thereby turned a cluster into an outbreak.

I know that these will be unwelcome tidings at a time when we have all been looking forward to further easing of restrictions on June 21st and possibly a more normal end to the school year. Obviously I can’t say for sure what the national decision will be about how this new evidence affects the planned progress of the Roadmap, but I suspect that Step 4 may be delayed until a larger proportion of the adult population have been vaccinated. In the meantime, it is important that we do what we can locally to restrict or slow down the spread of this variant in schools/EYS in order to safeguard both the education and wellbeing of pupils, and the health of vulnerable individuals in our communities.

Regards,
Daniel Flecknoe
Consultant in Public Health
Adults and Health Directorate
Buckinghamshire Council

Governor Training Dates, Summer 2021 Update

Dear Colleagues,

Please be aware that we have moved 2 dates of training in the summer term.

Preparing for the Ofsted Visit – Primary session has moved FROM 15th June to 7th July

The Role of the PSHE Governor has been moved FROM 14th July to 17th June

All registered have been contacted directly.  The revised summer timetable is below, click on the titles to book:

Educational Visits and Outdoor Learning 9th June 18.30 – 19.30 Wed MS Teams Mike Harwin
The Role of the PSHE Governor 17th June 18.30 – 19.30 Thu MS Teams Carol Stottor
Exclusions – Guidance for Governors 23rd June 18.30 – 20.30 Wed MS Teams Bernadette Little & Rose Lindsay
Health & Safety 29th June 18.30 – 19.30 Tue MS Teams Caron Owens
Preparing for the Ofsted Visit Secondary 6th July 18.30 – 19.30 Tue MS Teams Georgina Masefield
Preparing for the Ofsted Visit Primary 7th July 18.30 – 19.30 Wed MS Teams Naureen Kausar

I have also attached the troubleshooting document for course bookings.

Troubleshooting for Courses on emails

 

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused.

 

Hazel David

School Improvement Team

Children’s Services

 

 

For COVID-19 updates visit: https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/covid-19-corona-virus-latest-advice/

BASG Executive Committee Meeting Minutes 10th May 2021

Meeting: BASG EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

 

Date & Time: 10 May 2021 at 5.00pm

 

Location: Virtual meeting via Zoom

 

Present:

 

 

Paul Randall (Chair), Anne Sheddick (Vice Chair), Maggi Bull,

Peter Lerner, Bernadette Allison, Jo Pearce, Martin Baxter, Andrew Brown, Gwyneth Langley (Secretary)

 

   

Agenda Item

 

 

Action

1. Apologies for Absence  
 

 

 

There were no apologies for absence.

 

 
2 Notification of Any Other Business  
   

There were no items tabled for discussion under Any Other Business

 

 
3 Declarations of Interest  
 

 

 

Gwyneth Langley – BEP

 
4 Approval of Minutes From the Meeting Held on 19 April 2021 and Review of Actions  
 

 

 

The minutes of the meeting held on 19 April 2021 were approved.

 

BASG Bank Account (Minute 4) – JP / PR continued to progress the change of names on bank account correspondence.

 

Networking Groups (Minute 5) – Networking group meeting dates had been signposted this term’s Executive Director briefings.

 

Networking Groups (Minute 7) – GL would contact Sally Brooks to see if there had been any interest in the Marlow Networking Group.

 

Schools Forum (Minute 7) – JP had circulated details of Schools Forum, including the constitution.

 

BASG Event 27 May 2021 (Minute 10) – AS / PR were discussing a potential alternative platform for future events.  The event on 27 May 2021 would go ahead via MS Teams.  There were currently 130 governors registered.

 

 

 

 

JP / PR

 

 

 

 

 

GL

 

5 Local Networking Groups  
 

 

 

 

 

Aylesbury Group

 

The Aylesbury Group had met on 4 May 2021 and MB had circulated notes from the meeting.  Discussion had included:

 

·         Headteacher Recruitment. There was input from a Chair who was going through the Headteacher Recruitment process.  There was limited support from the Local Authority.   There was discussion on the options should the Governing Board be unable to appoint.   AB highlighted that the Oxford Diocese gave good support for Headteacher recruitment processes.

·         Feedback on the Executive Directors Briefings this term. These were considered to have been poor.

·         Feedback on the Closing the Gap events, which was more positive.

 

The Executive Directors Briefings this term were considered to have been rushed.  There had been some confusion with the agenda in the lead up to the events.  It was suggested that the change of name from Leadership Briefing to Executive Directors Briefing had altered the positioning of these session and it was now unclear what the purpose of these sessions was.    It was understood that the LA were planning to keep these meetings virtual in the future and there was some concern with this.

 

Jordans Group

 

The next meeting would be on 12 June 2021.

 

Chesham, Great Missenden, Amersham and Wendover Group

 

The next meeting would be on 24 May 2021 at 7pm.   This had been communicated out via the LA and GovernorHub.    8 governors had currently confirmed their attendance.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

6 BEP  
   

GL gave a brief update:

 

BEP continued to support a number of Governing Boards with Headteacher Recruitment processes.

Recent events for Chairs had included discussions on governance arrangements going forwards and governor recruitment.  Many Governing Boards had been successful in recruiting governors during the pandemic.

 

There would be a BEP newsletter published towards the end of term and there was the option for BASG to include information within this. PR / GL would discuss this.

 

The BEP Chairs Briefing would take place on Friday 28 May 2021 and Annual Conference on Friday 18 June 2021.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

PR / GL

 

 

 

 

 

 

7 Communications with Bucks Council  
   

AS / PR had met with Hero Slinn regarding the upcoming SEN training for governors. They may be some SEN networking arranged for governors in the autumn term.

 

There had been some slowdown in feedback and action from the LA. This was frustrating. It was thought this could be linked to the management changes and council election processes. PL highlighted the difficulties of the purdah period for LA employees and the numerous demands on them during this time.   It was agreed that BASG should continue to work with the LA and flag challenges and issues despite the difficulties and frustrations.

 

It was noted that a Side By Side meeting had been planned for 27 May 2021. An agenda had not yet been received.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

8 BASG Newsletter  
   

PR / GL would discuss this.

 

PR / GL

 

9 Buckinghamshire Challenge Group  
   

The Buckinghamshire Challenge Group would next meet on Monday 17 May 2021 and MB would share notes on this meeting with the group.

 

Governor training arrangements had not yet been agreed.  Proposals were still being reviewed by Gareth Drawmer and Georgina Masefield.

 

 

 

MB

 

 

10 BASG Event  – Governance for SEND and Inclusion – 27 May 2021  
   

Approximately 130 governors had registered for the event to date.  This would take place via MS Teams.  A plan for administrative support for the event would be discussed.

 

PR would contact Adam Boddison to discuss arrangements.

 

 

 

 

AS / PR

 

PR

11 Governance Consultative Board  
   

The next meeting of the Consultative Board would take place on 8 July 2021. PL suggested that it would be helpful to get some clarity on the sense of direction from the new cabinet / cabinet member for education at this meeting.

 

 

 

 

 

12 AOB  
 

 

 

There was no AOB.

 

 

 

13 Dates / Times of Future Meetings  
 

 

 

 

A date / time for the next meeting was agreed as follows:

 

Monday 21 June  2021 5pm